Monday, February 1, 2010

Father delivers his own baby in hospital as the staff don't respond to buzzer, it's a disgrace and unacceptable
















Dear All

DIY is very popular in some quarters, but when you go to hospital you expect the professionals to step in and take charge.

In Royal Blackburn Hospital, Lancashire, DIY takes on a new meaning as Thomas Howard was forced to deliver his own baby as staff when buzzed didn’t turn up.

By the time, the cavalry turned up the sprog was out into the big wide world.

The NHS Trust responsible has since apologised to the couple over the care they received.

Or importantly didn’t.

This incident highlights the growing concern of the midwife shortage in the UK.

Ruth Gildert, divisional general manager in Family Care for East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust said;

“'I would like to apologise to Ms Baron and her partner for the distress they experienced when their baby was born at Royal Blackburn Hospital”.

Her next bit is pitiful;

“We cannot comment in detail for reasons of patient confidentially but our midwives supervise all women very closely during labour”.

Should that statement not include ‘when there’?

Professional organisations have not been slow to comment of the treatment of the hospital, the National Childbirth Trust (NCT) condemning the incident as unacceptable.

As to Mr. Howard experience in medical matters he said;

“I have never done anything like it before, but I've seen others do it a few times, so I had a rough idea”.

I think he will be glad that his short medical career is over.

Luckily this story has a happy ending but it could have been so much more difference if complications had arisen.

And an investigation should be conducted to find out why when the buzzer was repeatedly pressed no one was available.

Yours sincerely

George Laird
The Campaign for Human Rights at Glasgow University

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is scary.

I recently spent time in hospital and one night in terrible pin I waited for a doctor to come from somewhere else in the hospital. It took ages, although I was in so much pain, I can't say exactly how long, but over an hour.

All the time that this was going on I could hear nurses at the station 3 bays away, laughing and joking like they were on a days outing. No nursing of a distressed and very worried patient there!

When the doctor arrived she was too junior to prescribe anything more powerful that the pain killers I was already on...

Pathetic service. I wish I were rich enough to afford to go private. One thing for sure I NEVER want to be in that hosptial again.

G Laird said...

Dear Tris

I would say that this is the type of feedback that the SNP need to hear, personal experiences paint a contrast to the standard inhouse report.

I would ask you to pass this along to who ever is your SNP MSP.

Improvements can only be made if people such as yourself speak up.

Yours sincerely

George Laird
The Campaign for Human Rights at Glasgow University

Anonymous said...

Yes Mr L, I will be doing that. Now I can get out a bit again, I will be seeing my MSP within the next week.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.