Thursday, July 2, 2009

Tommy Sheridan throws his hat in the ring for the by-election in Glasgow North East!


Dear All

Tommy Sheridan has launched a bid to replace former Commons Speaker Michael Martin as MP for Glasgow North-East.

I first met Tommy Sheridan when he would do a weekend stall down at the old Pollok Centre during the days of him being a Glasgow City Councillor.

He asked me once why I was wearing a leather jacket on a hot day.

I replied this is Pollok better they slash my jacket than me; I always used to think ahead in those days as there were too many wicked people running about then.
He just burst out laughing.

Recently Tommy Sheridan stood in the European Elections and if elected he vowed never to take his seat.

I thought such a gesture would be incredibly stupid; the job of an elected official is to represent the people.

Anyway he has thrown his hat into the ring to fight the Glasgow North East seat, although a personality of some note; he has no chance.

Mr. Sheridan’s time as a serious politician has passed and he should move on. He completely destroyed the party he founded which imploded after the infamous News of the World Court Case.

His future is possibly in the legal profession as he is doing the fast track course to be a lawyer at Strathclyde University.

His candidacy will however bring some colour to the event but little else.

Yours sincerely

George Laird
The Campaign for Human Rights at Glasgow University

2 comments:

calgacus said...

Don't agree here. The ironically named 'United Left' faction of the SSP destroyed a party Sheridan built - and they did it by co-operating with personal attacks on Sheridan by the Murdoch press. I was an SSP member for a while and at one meeting i was at the organisers suggested nationalising everything. I questioned whether they really meant everything. They said yes. They also ruled out being part of any coalition government, planning an SSP only government with their heads in the clouds (to put it politely) I left and didnt come back.

All the best,
Duncan

calgacus said...

p.s I believe Sheridan will be an MSP again yet. He only narrowly failed to get re-elected on the West of Scotland regional list in the last Scottish parliament elections because of the 'United Left' splitting the party.