Wednesday, July 22, 2009

BNP Leader, Nick Griffin assaulted in pub.


Dear All

This is an interesting story as it touches on does Nick Griffin of the BNP have rights?

Specifically does he have the right not to be assaulted that the other members of the public enjoy?

The simple answer is yes.

A Labour MP has claimed British National Party supporters beat up a man when he threw beer over the party leader, Nick Griffin.

In other words, a man carried out an assault on Nick Griffin and thought it was justified so that is all right.

David Drew MP claimed the "totally upstanding" man was given "one hell of a hiding" after the incident last week.

If he was “upstanding” why did he carry out the assault? Also was he not the architect of his own misfortune?

The BNP Deputy Leader Simon Darby claimed the man lay in wait after an altercation inside the pub and threw a pint of Guinness over Mr Griffin.

A deliberate act on the part of a yob!

Speaking in the Commons, the Labour MP for Stroud, said he did not want the BNP "anywhere near" his constituency which is tough because as citizens, they have guarantee freedom of movement within the EU.

The Labour MP went on to make a further stupid comment by saying;

"I don't know why [Mr Griffin] was wined and dined in my constituency in Painswick but he was," he said.

Try going for some food.

"It just so happens that one of my constituents took offence at this and happened to spill some beer over Mr Griffin”.

Bullshit, sheer bullshit.

Mr. Drew then goes on to justify assault by this comment;

"I happen to know the young man, and he is totally upstanding - he's an outstanding individual”.

"As a result of this he was taken outside and given one hell of a hiding."

Perhaps, Griffin’s attacker misjudged the mood of the BNP, perhaps he thought he could do what he liked and walk away untouched.

I think this is a key comment by Darby;

"As we were leaving he had been lying in wait for us and threw a pint of Guinness over Mr Griffin”.

The Tories on the other hand were less disturbed by the incident as Tory MP for Ribble Valley Nigel Evans said he was "very disturbed" to hear about the story and quipped: "What a dreadful waste of beer."

Whether people like it or not the BNP have elected public officials and these people have full rights in law and the same protections.

This type of action only enhances the credibility of the BNP, an extremist party and helps them win over voters.

The BNP need to be defeated on policies, violence won’t work.

Yours sincerely

George Laird
The Campaign for Human Rights at Glasgow University

1 comment:

The Guinness Thrower said...

I've just accidentally stumbled across this article, and whilst it is a long time in the past, I wanted to respond in case others also stumble across it.

I was the person who 'spilt' my beer on Griffin that evening. As you rightly point out, the comment by Darby of my 'laying in wait outside' is certainly crucial. Mostly because it is entirely false. I was outside when I was approached by one of Mr Griffin's party. After the conversation inevitably turned to his politics and I made my objections known I was spat at, called a 'brainwashed little c***' and approached by a number of other of Mr Griffin's gentleman. It was whilst this was going on that Nick received my beer.

Of course, it was absolutely correct that I received a caution for the incident, and Mr Griffin has the right to the same protection under the law as any of the rest of us. However, it is worth bearing in mind that the circumstances were not as they were portrayed by the BNP. Unfortunately, they outnumbered me and I was not able to overturn their lies in the press. I hope that this will clarify your perception of the event.