Yesterday Nick Clegg was wittering on about how difficult it would be to fight a second indyref because of the Brexit situation.
What a difference a day makes!
A new poll shows that the Brexit vote has not increased demand for second independence referendum, the SNP have high their peak, they have been buoyed up by the resentment of voters and being the vessel of a protest vote.
But over time, their popularity will fade; their record in government will do for them coupled with the lack of headway by the leadership over independence.
As I mentioned Scotland is in political flux, the old established order is crumbling and people aren’t as loyal to parties as they previously were, after all, what is the difference; the days of the Great Debate are a relic of a forgotten past.
Out goes vision, in comes tat and micromanagement by people bereft of ideas, in a country beset by problems, nothing is fixed and nothing is getting achieved.
In what must be consider startling from the Ipsos MORI poll for STV News opposition leader Ruth Davidson has overtaken the First Minister in satisfaction ratings, the Tories spent circa 35 years in the political wilderness.
Their USP which they played to get back into frontline politics was unionism, as they leeched voters away from other parties who went ‘wishy washy’ on the union, the Tories stepped in and hovered up the votes.
One of the major victims of the leeching was the Scottish Labour Party, pushed into third place by the Tories under Ruth Davidson.
52% supported remaining in the UK while 48% back independence, some do because of dogma, others do for love of country but there is a huge group who basically hate the English and Scottish independence is their proxy vehicle to help them achieve this.
When the issue of timing was thrown in the mix, the news becomes even worse for unpopular Nicola Sturgeon who is pretty pegged to holding an independence referendum as leader.
Something she can’t deliver and she knows it.
Support for a second ballot in the next two years is only just able to hit the 41%, mark while 54% opposed a re-run.
The window of opportunity only lasts a certain time in politics, because all politicians have a shelf life if they promise something and don’t deliver or deliver and don’t get the result they expected.
Check out David Cameron, promises an EU referendum, probably expected to win it like the Scottish independence one and he blew it. When for a stunt called re-negotiation in Europe and the EU leaders just dug in and said no, crumbs were offered and when this was presented to the British people, they had had enough.
Leaving Europe would be a bad thing, but we aren’t leaving Europe, we are leaving the European Union a political organisation which is anti-country and anti-worker. Time will show how this was in the national interest with the issues of national security and economic security at the forefront.
I suppose the interest part of the polling which interests me and probably some others is that Nicola Sturgeon’s SNP manufactured popularity has fallen by a huge 12 percentage point drop.
The reason is failure in government, not doing the day job and vacuous, inept and shallow, you cannot fool the people all the time, is a well-known saying, the chickens are coming home to roost for her, and not just in the Constituency she part time represents badly, Govanhill is a slum.
Mark Diffley, director at Ipsos MORI Scotland, said:
"The summer was dominated by the fallout from the Brexit vote and the impact it may have on support for independence. It is clear from this poll that, despite the UK-wide vote contradicting the wishes of the majority in Scotland, Brexit has not resulted in a surge in support for independence. However, at 48% among committed voters, it remains entirely possible that a second referendum campaign could be won by supporters of independence."
Never a dull moment, and with the Council elections in 2017 getting prep up, Scotland’s council seats are up for grabs, the SNP is slipping can their fake manufactured popularity carried over from 2014 hang on or will the slippage create opportunities for others.
The SNP better start to 'break out' the young kids for Nicola Sturgeon to hug and do 'selfies' with, the illusion of 'caring Nicola must be wearing rather thin now, maybe a top up is required!
The Campaign for Human Rights at Glasgow University