Thursday, January 24, 2019

The End of Scottish Nationalism; Former SNP First Minister Alex Salmond charged with attempted rape and multiple counts of sexual assault, 14 criminal charges to answer, Nicola Sturgeon and Salmond were effectively ‘joined at the hip’ politically for years, the SNP is now a party so badly damaged that they will need to change leader


















Dear All

We are all used to seeing politicians in the media and the press, if you end up doing political campaigning, you will run across the leadership at major by-elections. You always remember the first time you meet someone famous, for me meeting Alex Salmond, the year was 2008.

It was the famous Glasgow East by-election.

I had just done a campaigning session and was grabbing a few sandwiches and a cup of tea in a portacabin which was situated on a car lot. I just managed to get a seat in what passed for the small kitchen. In popped Alex Salmond, he promptly sat down and struck up a conversation with me, so we spent a few minutes ‘shooting the breeze’, then up popped Austin Sheridan, who ended up being an SNP Councillor later down the line. He just butted into the conversation and declared that he wanted to be ‘Prime Minister’ of Scotland, me and Salmond just looked at each other, then settled in as Austin Sheridan rambled on. SNP Candidate John Mason beat Margaret Curran of Scottish Labour by 365 votes, I wasn’t at that time in any political party; I was just a volunteer.

Over the next couple of years, I would bump into Alex Salmond at other by-elections and events, to that end here is a picture of me, Alex Salmond and Elaine C Smith taken at an ‘Ask Alex’ event in the East End of Glasgow. I had made a name for myself as a campaigner in Glasgow, which is why he recognised me. The next major time, I had interaction with Alex Salmond was the Glasgow North East by-election. The SNP fielded David Kerr as the candidate after two previous other contenders, Grant Thoms and James Dornan pulled out. David Kerr made a decent candidate but he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, he was better suited to Newton Mearns or Bearsden.
















By the time Salmond saw me in any meaningful way, I had joined the SNP, and on that GNE campaign was ‘seconded’ to be the assistant of the Campaigns Room Manager, Ari Mack. He asked me personally to be his assistant, despite the fact I was more of a street campaigner. So, I said yes, and started learning on the job; then due to an incident, Ari Mack ended up having to switch roles and take on more responsibility leave me in charge of the Campaign Rooms. Basically, I ended up working to keep everyone ‘happy, the office staff, the volunteers and anyone else who trooped in the door.

I left the SNP after being subject to a nasty vicious smear campaign and an attempt to set me up and brand me homophobic which I am not as people who know well know.

The revelations against Alex Salmond were an eye opener to me because my encounters were always cordial with him, he had a good way getting round everyone and flying the flag. In my encounters with Nicola Sturgeon, these were always cold, as much as I try not to prejudge people, Sturgeon made me feel uncomfortable, although I managed to hide. Basically my gut feeling was that she wasn’t to be trusted, despite many attempts on my part, I could never shake off that feeling.

The police investigation into Alex Salmond has taken a dramatic turn; the former first minister faces 14 criminal charges, attempted rape, sexual assault and breach of the peace. 14 charges in total, two alleging attempted rape, nine alleging sexual assault, two alleging indecent assault and one alleging breach of the peace. When in Court, Alex Salmond made no formal plea; he appeared in private at Edinburgh Sheriff Court. Outside the Court, he made a statement "absolutely refuting" any criminality, which I suppose would get people wondering why he didn’t say not guilty.

Arriving at court, the former first minister was accompanied by solicitor advocate Callum Anderson of Glasgow law firm Levy & McRae, and by his former special adviser and spindoctor Campbell Gunn. Gunn was also at the Court of Session hearing where the case against Alex Salmond collapsed due to the process being unfair. That said there is a world of difference being in Court on a civil issue and being in Court facing criminal charges.

Salmond said outside Court:

"In September, shortly after I became aware of a police investigation, my solicitors wrote on my instruction to Police Scotland indicating that I was happy to meet them.
Yesterday, by prior agreement and consistent with my previous offers, I voluntarily attended a police station with my solicitor. I co-operated fully with the police. I was released by the police after interview and agreed to attend court today. I have always maintained that I have never engaged in criminality and that remains my position. I said throughout the Judicial Review that it would be inappropriate to comment further until the conclusion of that case and I did not do so until I gave my full statement on the steps of the Court of Session two weeks ago. Faithful to that principle, and given that the case is live, I am obviously not able to say anything more at this stage other than to reiterate that I absolutely refute any allegations of criminality."

The seriousness of the criminal charges against Alex Salmond cannot be understated; conviction means prison is highly likely. Although many people will be quietly celebrating the trouble that Alex Salmond finds himself in, I will not be one of them. I would also suspect that many people in politics will feel the same way. To go from running the highest office in Scotland to this place where Salmond finds himself now is very much a sad affair.

Here is his wiki page highlighting his career.


So, what future for Alex Salmond now?

That will be for a jury of Scots to decide as they assess the evidence presented by the prosecution for them to assess, and listen to the witnesses relating their story. One thing for sure, the Scottish independence campaign will take a massive hit along side Nicola Sturgeon and SNP. Sturgeon and Salmond were effectively ‘joined at the hip’ politically for years, I would say high possibility she will be called as a witness. For many in Scotland, they will be seeing wall to wall coverage media coverage when that trial kicks off in the Courts.  

Yours sincerely

George Laird
The Campaign for Human Rights at Glasgow University

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is going on the jury georgieboy....where are they goo g to find impartial cause I hate the cunt crookie

Anonymous said...

Good post! We are linking to this great content on our site.
Keep up the great writing.

THE INVISIBLE MAN said...

This case really does ring some bells for me, George. As I mentioned in one of my previous comments, I was sexually assaulted myself years ago, and my own abuser had numerous victims to their name as I only found out years later.

I understand the shock of it all, because unlike Harvey Weinstein (who was no surprise to anyone who knew what he was like), this appears out of the blue. Another case I remember like this was my ex-girlfriend's boyfriend. She and I had been friends for a short while, and I got to know this bloke. He was pretty mild-mannered and a fairly ordinary and seemingly pleasant person, and we got on well.

However, I'd heard that he'd had a problem with depression and drink (especially drink) to the extent that he'd been in trouble with the law for starting altercations. My ex tried to help him, and I did worry that he might be violent to her, but there was no sign of him doing that so I didn't know how to ask.

Later on he broke up with my ex, and I was shocked and stunned to hear from her that he'd been violently abusing her, and even threatened to hurt her beloved pets. (Mercifully she's in a much better place now, and the police have it in hand.) As they say 'you think you know a guy' so I completely get where you're coming from. You'd never have guessed with this chap.

Of course, out of respect of a fair trial, and law and order, I'd be inclined to say 'innocent until proven guilty' but you're right, it doesn't look good. Certainly this is the sort of scandal that brings down governments to the extent that they try to get someone else to take the blame for them. In this case, I don't see any fall guy available.

And as you say, even if you don't like the SNP or Salmond or Sturgeon (I don't), it's tragic and unpleasant, and Salmond's downfall is much like a Greek or Shakesperian tragedy. It's not something to celebrate.

Al C

Anonymous said...

A jurist would have to make a verdict on the facts of the case. Without fear or favour.

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts ass long aas I provide credit and sources back to your blog?
My blog is in the exact same nniche as yours and my users would genuinely benefit from some of the information you present here.

Please let me know if this alright with you. Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Genrrally I don't learn article on blogs, buut I
wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do so!

Your writing sttle has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice post.

Anonymous said...

Great items from you, man. I've remember your stuff prior to
and you're simply extremely great. I actually like what you've bought here, certainly like what you
are saying and the best way during which you are saying it.
You make it entertaining and you continue to take care of to stay it smart.
I cant wait tto reqd much more frtom you. This is actually a grwat site.